Assessing and overcoming risks
AREVA assists general contractors and nuclear operators in their risk assessment and management obligations. Its added value: recognized expertise in French and British standards; proven familiarity with international standards.
Field Report #7: Fleet Safety
Experience shows that very unlikely events occur and that plant operators need efficient systems to safely shutdown their plants and to remain in control in case of an unexpectedly complex sequence of events.
Find out how AREVA is helping utilities demonstrate the safety of their nuclear fleets, while reinforcing public confidence.
Risk management of a nuclear facility, from the project planning phase to dismantling, is part of a demanding and changing legal and regulatory framework.
General contractors and nuclear operators are required to show exemplary ability in:
- Safety of installation
- Personal safety
- Environmental protection
- Integration of the validation processes for regulatory reviews by involved parties, including the public
A customized range of solutions
AREVA responds to this demand with a customized range of guidance and services distinguished by:
- A global approach to risk: analysis focusing on technical, human, and organizational elements.
- A broad covering of needs:
- by type of risk: radiological, chemical, criticality, fire, attack
- by perimeter covered: assessment of the consequences inside the facility and on the environment
- by types of facilities concerned: laboratory plant for front-end and back-end cycles; powerful reactors; research reactors
- A solid familiarity with national and international standards in nuclear safety and environmental impact assessment.
- Performance of audits and diagnostics
- Development of initiatives and processes for safety, environment- and performance
- Application of policies and standards at the installation-, establishment, and site- level
- Performance of Peer Reviews on safety management and culture for review cases
- Definition and follow-up of requirements for safety, human and organizational factors (HOF), environmental impact, integrated logistical supply (ILS)
- Development of regulatory cases: safety cases, hazard studies, impact assessment, waste management studies, internal emergency plans, dismantling plans cases
- Performance of safety re-evaluation: feedback cases, safety improvement plans
- Integration of the validation processes for regulatory reviews by stakeholders, including the public
An interdisciplinary and international network of experts
- A complete integration of regulatory matters. Free from the tasks of compiling and monitoring cases studies, clients can focus on their operating mission.
- Scheduling control. Our know-how and debriefing guarantee minimal time frames for compilation and instruction of case files.
- An optimized response. Our 200 experts renowned by AREVA and the Safety Authorities bring a response adapted to client needs. Clients thereby benefit from the best approaches and practices.
- Extensive familiarity with national and international standards.
- French Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN)
- Health Safety Environmental (HSE), Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) for the United Kingdom
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) for the United States
- International Atomic Energy Agency (AIEA)